That’s right everyone, I’m a Hamilton fangirl! Boo-yah! This is essentially a guide to infiltrating the fandom, and a rough outline of how the fandom behaves.
Listen to The Album
That’s the easiest step. The album can be found on Spotify or Pandora (whatever floats your boat) for free, or you can buy it. I bought it for $18.00 off of the Amazon music store. Now before you balk about how much that is, let me say this: there’s 2 hours and 33 minutes of music on there, or 46 songs. So you’re getting your money’s worth.
Now, sit down, and listen to the whole thing. Obviously, you may not have 2 hours and 33 minutes to kill, so be prepared to take a break (run away with us for the summer, let’s go upstate…). DO NOT PUT IT ON SHUFFLE!! The songs are in chronological order, so if it’s on shuffle, it will make no sense.
Learn the Cast
Here’s the original broadway cast list
- Alexander: Lin Manuel-Miranda
- Aaron Burr: Leslie Odom Jr.
- Eliza: Phillipa Soo
- Angelica: Renee Elise Goldsberry
- Lafayette/Jefferson: Daveed Diggs
- Washington: Christopher Jackson
- King George III: Jonathan Groff
- Peggy/Maria: Jasmine Cephas Jones
- John Laurens/Philip: Anthony Ramos
- Hercules Mulligan/Madison: Okieriete Onaodowan
Now I will tell you of the cinnamon rolls. I’m not sure how this got started, but when a character in the musical is adorable or pure, the fandom refers to them as a cinnamon roll. Eliza and Philip are the biggest cinnamon rolls. Lin is occasionally referred to as a CR, and has even acknowledged it.
This, my friends, is your ticket to quality Hamilton entertainment. These bad boys are all over Youtube, and I highly recommend that you look it up. My personal favorite was when all three King Georges lip synced to “The Schuyler Sisters”.
All three of these men have been nominated for a Tony
- Follow the cast on Twitter
- Find the good fanart/textposts
- Read the biography that started it all (Ron Chernow)
- Watch the presentation on PBS on October 21st
Keep on Fangirling!